Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Lamp Makeover

Bought this lamp awhile back at Joseph's Coat, a local thrift store, for $10...


Of course I forgot until last second to take a before picture, so the image above is mid painting with low voc primer. Here's a close-up to show the nasty faux stone finish...


It was ugly, cheap and needed to be rewired. So I bought a rewiring kit for $10, spray painted it bright yellow, added a black shade I already had and now I have a cheerful lamp for my living room...


Come a little closer...


It never ceases to amaze me how paint has the power to transform. The spray paint is H2O by Krylon, their lowest VOC spray paint. It still smells, but I notice the smell doesn't linger like other spray paints do. Regardless I still let whatever I paint off gas for over a week or more until I bring it indoors. Later everyone...

13 comments:

  1. OOhhhh, I knew that was gonna turn out good from the first pic. Great shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it! the color is awesome! i am so glad you are painting- so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it...and the yellow is perfect! Take care, Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! i never cease to be amazed by your talent!! you have such an eye for transforming things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful color!!! Did you find it easy to rewire the lamp? I've tried once before and just couldn't get it quite "right".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone!
    @Ashley...it really is super easy as long as you have all of the needed parts. I had to get a new lamp nipple that was shorter than the original so the other parts could fit. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect redo - and love it next to your fabulous chair!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You saved a lamp! Freds cousin, looks sharp. Where did you get your shade?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Bri...I got mine at a local light fixture store, but I would have saved a bit of $ (not much) if I bought this one...
    http://www.shadesoflight.com/18-34-black_paper-new-drum-lamp-shade.html
    This is a pretty good source as well...
    http://www.lampsplus.com/
    I love vintage lamps, but man new shades are expensive. Hope that helped! :)Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your lamp looks fantastic Danielle! And double good whammy-make something old beautiful while giving the money to abused women!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I just love it! Yellow and black are so incredible together. What a fabulous exclamation point on your table! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete